• UFI Filters acquires 24.9% of BeonD, a start-up and spin-off of the Turin Polytechnic
• Know-how to better respond to changes in the automotive market
UFI Filters, a leading filtration and thermal management company, announced the acquisition of 24.9% of BeonD, a start-up and spin-off of the Turin Polytechnic, in an agreement signed on 14 December. BeonD specialises in the study and design of battery packs for land and marine applications, as well as the thermal management of power systems for electrified vehicles, and architectures for hybrid and electric vehicles. This confirms the UFI Group’s strategy of developing new technologies for future mobility. UFI Filters has always been committed to research, innovation and partnerships with the university world. It is now opting for open innovation, with the aim of integrating its experience with know-how from the world of batteries and thermal management systems for electric vehicles.
By joining BeonD, UFI Filters is gaining new expertise in the development of battery packs and battery management systems. The aim is to offer its customers more solutions in line with market trends towards sustainable mobility. It is estimated that 15% of the world’s vehicles will be electrified by 2030.
BeonD was founded in 2013, the brainchild of Alessandro Ferraris and Andrea Airale, engineers at Turin Polytechnic, and professor Massimiliana Carello, with the aim of designing innovative systems specifically for urban mobility. BeonD was conceived in the Polytechnic of Turin’s I3P, an incubator for the creation of innovative new start-ups. I3P was named the Best Public Incubator in the world by the UBI Global-World Rankings of Business Incubators and Accelerators 2019-2020, the prestigious ranking benchmark for start-ups around the world.
BeonD has always focused its efforts and energy in the engineering of electric and hybrid vehicles manufactured with innovative materials and developed thanks to the involvement of researchers, doctoral and PhD students from the Turin Polytechnic.
Giorgio Girondi, Chairman of UFI Filters comments: “The acquisition of shares in a promising young company like BeonD renews our commitment to be at the forefront of the development of new technologies for the automotive world. The market is evolving towards sustainable and clean mobility, and we want to play a leading role in it. BeonD’s know-know will give us the opportunity to take new paths and to be complete and reliable partners, to provide our customers with 360° solutions for the mobility of the future.”
“It is important for us to have gained UFI Filters as a stake-holder, a Group that is equally committed to the research and development of new materials and technologies. We are very proud that UFI Filters has chosen to trust us and to invest in our team and in our innovative solutions. We are confident that the fruits of this partnership will not be long in coming,” says Massimiliana Carello, Founding Partner of BeonD.
BeonD is also owned by Sabelt Spa, a company active since 1972 in the development and production of safety belts and seats for sports cars. Regarding the participation of UFI Filters in BeonD, Massimiliano Marsiaj, Deputy Chairman of SABELT comments: “We are proud to be supported by UFI Filters, a new investor which will contribute to BeonD’s medium to long term growth and innovation process in the international markets.”
BeonD is a Spin Off of Politecnico of Torino founded in 2013 at I3P (Politecnico of Torino Incubator) focused in Advanced Engineering and Batteries for Racing, Marine and Automotive application.
BeonD develops, designs, builds, tests and validate battery pack for prototypes and automotive special applications. BeonD was born as Spin Off Politecnico of Torino and have deep knowledge from cells and chemical composition, thermal management, vehicle performance engineering and the development of hardware and software for BMS (Battery Management System) for Hybrid/Electric Vehicles.
BeonD is the right partner to develop battery solutions for special application, high technological level applications or to make R&D activities.
BeonD is also specialized in most innovative engineering and simulation tools to check the feasibility of concept or beginning new product solutions, in particular:
– FEM analysis for composite materials, dynamic simulation and crash simulation of composite material structure with advanced breaking criteria card material. BeonD has the experience to manage composite material applications from the design to the production technologies.
– CFD simulations and analysis of external and internal aerodynamics (steady state and transient, micro fluid dynamics), channels and joint CFD-Thermal simulations to design for Battery Cooling and HVAC for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles.
– It helps companies in target setting and design for vehicles and subsystems through the use of mathematical 2D o 3D advanced Multibody models of Hybrid and Electric vehicles and their powertrain subsystems (Electric Motors, Inverter, Transmission, Batteries, HVAC) and chassis subsystem (Suspensions, Steering, Braking, Crossmember).
– BeonD copes with customers for testing and final sign-off. BeonD also offers Performance Engineering to support customers during validation plan, validation activity or vehicle subsystems optimization testing.
– BeonD have long experience in physical-virtual correlation to get the best performance and/or costs optimization. www.beond.net